Friday, March 18, 2011

The Year of the Copycat

I was reading a blog post from fellow candy gal Jackie of  The Hollywood Candy Girls about Steve Jobs and his thoughts on how 2011 is the year of the copycats.

It got me thinking who is to blame? Is it the copycat itself, who lacks vision but is motivated by monetary incentive.  Or could it be that they are inspired and don't know how to interpret and use that inspiration in a positive light?  Could it be our capitalist system and its dog eat dog mentality?  Or are the parents to blame for not consciously teaching the kiddies right from wrong.  It could be a combination of all of these things happening at the same time I guess.

I don't know about Mr. Jobs but for me the saddest part of being violated in this way, has nothing to do with the unauthorized "borrowing" of ideas, nor the potential sale that could have been made. But it has everything to do with what that potential sale could have represented.  In my case, that sale represents freedom.  The freedom to say one morning, "Nina lets go to the big diner for pancakes, mommy is tired from working last night." The freedom to go down the Jersey Shore whenever possible during the summer, to watch my daughter play in the sand. The freedom to homeschool my daughter and the valuable time and memories we make as each year passes.  The freedom to surprise my husband with a candle light dinner out one night.

So, In my case its not a potential $ale that is being $tolen, but potential moments in my families life that could have been.

I know of a couple of Etsy Artists that are going thru the same situation and I hope that 2012 will become the year of FREEDOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment